Play Fairway Mapping and Analysis
PetroAnalyst connects the traditional geologic analysis of petroleum systems (source, reservoir, etc.) and the evaluation of exploration risk. In the base workflow, individual risk maps are created for each element of the petroleum system and then “rolled-up” to create a final risk map for the basin or play fairway. Diverse geologic information from a variety of sources can be brought into PetroAnalyst to support both qualitative and quantitative risk assessments. Gridded data and vector data can be easily combined in a single PetroAnalyst project.
Included in PetroAnalyst is a library of Gross Depositional Environments (GDEs). Also included is a suite of tools to support evaluation of data density and quality, creation of custom risk polygons, generate PowerPoint™ reports, and export to ArcMap™-compatible formats.
PetroAnalyst’s Key Advantages
PetroAnalyst makes it easy to:
- Integrate petroleum systems models to reflect the rapid revisions and updates to PSM
- Define risk thresholds from spatial data
- Estimate risk and uncertainty from geologic data
- Do qualitative (stoplight maps) and/or quantitative (chance of success) risk assessments
- Integrate data confidence to avoid common pitfalls such as condemning an area with insufficient data
- Update risk assessments as new data becomes available
- Customize risk assessments for each of the key decision points in the exploration process (basin entry, play fairway evaluation, acreage selection, prospect evaluation, infill programs)
- Customize risk assessments for conventional and unconventional resource plays
- Promote consistency in risk assessment across business units and asset types
- Inspect contribution of individual risk elements spatially with multiple graphics options including risk matrices, bar charts, and radar plots
- Includes extensive best practice documentation to support the work process and ensure consistency between teams and different play
- In areas of sparse data, a library of Gross Depositional Environments (GDE’s) provides a facility to define polygons and assign relative probabilities to play elements
For more on PetroAnalyst please click here to view the demo movies. If you do not have a username and password to view the movie, please contact
to obtain a username and password.